Womelsdorf is the oldest established community in the territory called the Tulpehocken. Founded in 1762, it is the home of the Tulpehocken Settlement Historical Society. The Society was incorporated February 13, 1970. Most historical societies are the indirect result of an event that occurs, be it positive or negative. Our Society was created as a result of the razing of Zion Union (Lutheran and German Reformed) Church in Womelsdorf erected in 1792. This was the initial act that caused some people to become aware of the necessity for an organization to protect our old landmarks and for the preservation of our heritage.
Tulpehocken is an Indian name meaning “Land of the Turtles” and the name of the creek that supplies the 206,000 acre territory. The following towns, villages and hamlets are located within it’s boundaries: Bernville, Bethel, Brownsville, Centerport, Frystown, Host, Meckville, Millbach, Mt. Aetna, Mt. Pleasant, Myerstown, Newmanstown, New Schaefferstown, Rehrersburg, Richland, Robesonia, Schubert, Shartlesville, Sheridan, Stouchsburg, Strausstown, Wernersville, Wintersville and Womelsdorf.
Map of Our Location